No one was injured in a fire that heavily damaged a Cranberry Township home at about 1 a.m. Sunday morning.
Fire Chief Brian Kovac said the fire at 441 Anna Marie Drive started at the rear of the residence.
"The fire started on the back deck from a recreational fire and the propane from the gas grill was blowing fire into the house, allowing the fire to spread quickly," he said.
used a hose positioned at the top of the company’s tower ladder truck to help douse the flames once the fire extended into the roof of the building.
Kovac said volunteers had the fire under control in about 35 minutes. The homeowners made it from building safely, he said.
Neighbors Dan and Dorsi Pugh, who own the home next door, said Alex and Lisa Kumnik lived with their baby in the home that caught fire.
Dan Pugh said he, his wife and their own young son and daughter were asleep Sunday when police awakened them by pounding on the door. The family was told to evacuate their home as a precaution in case the fire spread, he said.
“It was blazing,” he said of his neighbor’s home when he stepped outside.
The Pugh family was allowed back into their home at about 2 a.m.
Kovac said the Kumnik home is inhabitable.
“As of right now there is nothing suspicious,” he said.
Crews were dispatched to the fire at about 1:15 a.m. Kovac said. Cranberry police arrived at the scene at 1:19 a.m. and the first fire unit arrived a minute later, he said. The first fire engine arrived at the house at 1:27 a.m.
Firefighters from Adams Area, Zelienople and Marshall Township assisted at the scene. Cranberry EMS also was positioned at the command area set up near the home, Kovac said.