Lent started Feb. 22, and many people will abstain from eating meat products on Fridays—or through the entire season, which ends April 7, the Saturday before Easter.
To help those home cooks—and encourage a sense of community in the effort—local churches and other organizations are offering the traditional weekly fish frys.
Below is a listing of where and when you can purchase dinners and sandwiches—whether you're celebrating Lent or just looking for a yummy meal.
Remember: It's never too late to submit your group's fish fry information. Feel free to do so in the comments or shoot an email to Editor Jessica Sinichak at Jessica.Sinichak@patch.com.
- Where: 2535 Rochester Road in Cranberry in the church’s Oldenski Hall.
- When: 4-7:30 p.m. every Friday in Lent.
- About: Baked or fried fish dinners are $8.50 and include an 8 oz. cod, french fries or macaroni and cheese, coleslaw or applesauce. The child’s fried fish dinner is $6.50 and includes a 4 oz. cod, french fries or macaroni and cheese, coleslaw or applesauce. The pizza dinner is $4.50 and includes a slice of cheese pizza and french fries or macaroni and cheese. The cost for a fish sandwich with fries is $6.50. A beverage and dessert comes with the dinners. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the church’s building campaign.
- Options: Dine-in and take-out available.
- Where: 7076 Franklin Road in Cranberry.
- When: 4-8 p.m. in the cafeteria every Friday through March 30.
- About: Adult dinners are $10, and senior citizens eat for $8. Entrée choices include hand-breaded fried cod, fish sandwich, baked cod or fried shrimp. Your choice of two sides includes pierogies, french fries, coleslaw and applesauce. Tomato Florentine soup and a beverage are included with your entrée. A child’s dinner is $5 and includes a choice of hand-breaded fried cod, fried shrimp or cheese pizza. The two side choices from french fries, coleslaw, applesauce or macaroni and cheese. The price includes a beverage. Attendees may enter a raffle for a fishing charter. The cost is $25 per ticket.
- Options: Dine-in and take-out available. Place your takeout order online any time from the Saturday prior to the fish fry until 7 p.m. on the day of the fish fry by visiting http://fishfry.saintkilian.org. Call in your order by calling 724-625-1665, ext. 9. Call after 2 p.m. on Fridays for a pick up after 4 p.m.
- Where: Zelienople American Legion Hall at 308 West New Castle Street in Zelienople.
- When: 4-8 p.m. Fridays in Lent.
- About: Dinner donations of $10 are suggested for adults and $6 for children younger than 12. Dinners include a large piece of deep-fried cod, a large hoagie roll, macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, a beverage and dessert. There will be a Chinese auction and 50/50 raffles at the dinners. Proceeds from the event benefit the Zelienople Memorial Skate Park, which will honor the memory of Zelienople firefighters All three teens, who were students, drowned two years ago after the sport utility vehicle in which they were riding went out of control and rolled upside down into a icy pond near the Zelienople-Harmony Sportsmen’s club.
- Options: Dine-in and take-available.
- Where: 2 West Beaver Street in Zelienople.
- When: 4-7 p.m. Fridays through March 30.
- About: The cost is $9 for adults and $7 for senior citizens. The cost is $5 for children ages 4 to 10. Children younger than age 3 eat for free. Entrée choices include a fried 8 oz. cod or a 6 oz. baked cod, fried fish sandwich or fried shrimp. Add three shrimp to your fish dinner for the combo dinner for an additional $2. Choices for child meals include pizza and the children’s fish diner, which come with half a fried fish or half a shrimp order. All entrees come with your choice of two sides, including french fries, baked potato, macaroni and cheese or vegetable. Also included in the price are coleslaw, dinner roll and a dessert. There is a choice of beverage for those eating in.
- Options: Dine-in and take-out available. Called 724-452-8010 after 3:30 p.m. for take-out. Pick up your orders at the St. Gregory school concession stand.
- Where:201 Church Road, Wexford
- When: 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. every Friday during Lent.
- About: You may call ahead to order at either 724-759-8659 or 412-304-1254 after 1 p.m. on Fridays. Make sure to specify your pick up time. Adult meals are $9, children meals are $2. Your choice of entrée includes breaded, fried shrimp or baked Atlantic cod or breaded, fried Atlantic cod. This can be requested as a sandwich. Also includes your choice of New England clam chowder or Tomato Florentine soup, a side of Macaroni and cheese, french fries or baked potato and a choice of either applesauce or coleslaw. Price also includes a beverage. All items also are available a la carte and individually priced. There also is a dessert buffet featuring items made by school and parish families for a small donation.
- Options: Dine-in and take-out available.