Romancing the Heart
More Valentine's Day ideas for your sweetheart
Ladies and gentlemen, mark your calendars! Monday, February 14 -- aka “I’d-Better-Do-Something-For-My-Significant Other-Or-I-Will-Be-Sleeping-Outside Day" -- is mere days away. Are you ready to claim your stake of the roughly $14 billion industry to woo your love?
Yup, that's $14 billion with a "B" and, according to the National Retail Federation, the average person will shell out $116.21 on traditional Valentine’s Day merchandise this year. Think about it, that’s enough to cut the government’s deficit by, well, I’m not going to go there or I’ll have a broken heart.
While you ponder that, here are some lovely Valentine's Day ideas just for you.
- Mimi's Bake Shoppe has become known in the area for its unique baked goods. Owner Chris Williams said te staff is ready for the holiday with cookies decorated to mimic sweetheart candy, red velvet cupcakes and, "An incredible sweetheart cupcake with almonds and raspberry mousse." Hint: Buy your treats before Saturday night because the bakery is closed Sundays and Mondays.
- A fresh fruit basket from Edible Arrangements
- Dinner at upscale Restaurant Echo, a restaurant that also supports local agriculture
Say it with flowers
Approximately 110 million roses, the majority of them red, will be sold and delivered within a three-day time period around Valentine's Day.
That's good news for Gerry Boeh of Gerard Boeh Flowers, who sees a 25-percent increase in his business this time of year. His advice for sweethearts?
“Men, don’t procrastinate," he said. "Make sure you give enough advance notice for delivery of your flowers.”
Other Heart-Warming Ideas
- A Massage -- Just relax and gift your loved one with a one-hour couples massage for $115 at The Body Bar
- Dazzle her with jewelry -- Philip Mathew, owner of Mathew Jewelers in the Streets of Cranberry and on Main Street in Zelienople, emphasizes the importance of shopping early. “It helps to shop early because the selection is better,” he said. From now through Sunday, Mathew Jewelers has a special event on Chamilia bracelets, offering a free bracelet after spending $100.
- Have a night out at Cranberry Cinemas -- “Just Go With It,” a romantic comedy featuring Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler is great for you and the hubby while "Gnomeo and Juliet," is perfect for your little loves. Both arrived in theaters Friday.
- More than 1 billion Valentine cards are sent each year in the U.S., according to the Greeting Card Association .
- Enough candy to send you into a sugar coma for eternity -- roughly, 58 million pounds of chocolate -- is sold during Valentine’s week.
Well, that's it from us. Just remember that whatever you choose to do for your loved one on Valentine's Day, do it with love!