Welcome to your Get Out Weekend Planner: Cranberry Edition!
No idea what to do this weekend? Cranberry Patch has got you covered. Check our picks for the activities to hit and best places to explore.
...and you're welcome!
- When/Where: The Pennsylvania Trolley Museum's Santa Trolley operates from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekends through Dec. 18. The last trolley with Santa leaves at 4 p.m. The museum is 1 Museum Road, Washington, Pa.
- Why Go: The question is, ‘Why not go?’ The experience includes a four-mile round trip on an antique streetcar, a guided tour of the Trolley Display Building and a stop at the visitor center. The Santa Trolley features a ride with Santa, who makes sure to visit each child on the scenic trip. Riders also will enjoy Christmas carolers and hot cocoa. Also, more than 50 trolleys are on display at the museum. For a full story on this great event, click here.
- Price: $9 for adults, $8 for ages 62 and older and $6 for ages 3 to 15. There is no cost for children younger than 3. There is a special $35 family rate for as many as two adults and four children.
- When/Where: 8:15 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2 at 1 Howard St, Butler.
- Why Go: It's Christmastime in the small town of Fayro, Texas and the Futrelle Sisters are not in a festive mood. The Christmas program is spiraling into chaos as the ousted director of the previous 27 productions is ruthless in her attempts to take over the show. All hope for a successful Christmas program seems lost, even with an Elvis impersonator at the manger. But the feuding sisters find a way to pull together to present a Christmas program the citizens of Fayro will never forget.
- Price: $10
- Where/When: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2 at 800 Mercer Rd, Butler.
- Why Go: VNA presents the popular local singer's annual Acoustic Christmas show! Tickets are limited, but remaining tickets will be sold at the door at 6:30 p.m. All proceeds benefit the VNA Inpatient Hospice.
- Price: $30
The Polar Express (on the big screen)
- When/Where: 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Dec. 2 and 3 at the Strand Theater Initiative, 119 N. Main St., Zelienople.
- Why Go: Join the theater for what has become a contemporary tradition at The Strand Theater. Parents and children alike have embraced this 2004 animated film based on the best-selling book as an all-time Christmas favorite. Tom Hanks voices several roles, including the Conductor and St. Nick, in this tale of a boy struggling with the reality of Santa Claus. The film uses 3D motion capture techniques to digitally record the physical performances of the actors before "skinning" them with their animated forms.
- Price: $5 general admission, $4 for seniors 60+
- When/Where: 5 to 9 p.m. Friday in Downtown Sewickley.
- Why Go: You wouldn’t want to miss out on this annual holiday tradition. Performers will include Dancing Queen and No Bad Juju on the main stage and musical and dance groups in Orr's Jewelers parking lot. The night culminates with a fireworks show.
- Price: Free. Visit YuletideinSewickley.com for a complete list of events.
- When/Where: 10 a.m. Dec. 3 at the Cranberry Township Municipal Center, 2525 Rochester Road.
- Why Go: Residents are invited to enjoy mile and cookies with Santa. Bring a camera for photos with Santa! Call 724-776-4806 x 1129 to register.
- Price: $9 resident discount fee; $12 non-resident fee
- When/Where: 10 a.m. Saturday Dec. 3 at Lowe's Home Improvement, 1717 Route 228, Cranberry Township.
- Why Go?: Your kids won't want to miss the first part of the 2011 Build and Grow train! Come back each week to build the next piece and complete your train!
- Price: Free
- When/Where: 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3 at 700 Arch St., North Side.
- Why Go: Enjoy a special Saturday morning with Santa and lots of feathered friends. Guests will enjoy a hot breakfast, coffee and hot chocolate, and a visit with Santa himself. Santa’s penguin helpers will pose for pictures and help hand out a special take-away treat for each child. Admission includes seating for Wings! the Aviary’s free-flight bird show.
- Price: Free
- When/Where: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3 at Robin Hill Park, 949 Thorn Run Road, Moon.
- Why Go: Celebrate the season with Moon Parks and Recreation and a variety of community groups, with activities that include Breakfast with Santa, a Holiday Craft Sale and a Greens Sale. Attendees must purchase tickets to reserve seats at the breakfast. Call the Moon Park Office at 412-262-1703 for information.
- Price: Free. Breakfast with Santa for grades K-3 is $5 per person.
- Where/When: Breakfast Express is at 9 a.m. and Shop & Drop happens just after at 10 a.m on Saturday, Dec. 3 at the Carnegie Science Center, 1 Allegheny Ave, North Side.
- Why Go: Climb on board for a great combination of piping-hot breakfast while watching The Polar Express: An IMAX Experience, spending time in the Miniature Railroad & Village,® and getting a chance to meet Mr. McFeely. Next up at 10 a.m. is the ‘Shop & Drop,’ when children ages 4–12 are left at the center so parents can shop Their day includes an Omnimax movie, a laser show, a science workshop, and plenty of time to explore. Just drop off your children with a bagged-lunch and you’ll have six glorious hours to get gifts for everyone on your list. Be sure to visit our XPLOR Store—all parents receive a coupon and might be able to finish shopping there!
- Price: Breakfast is $25 per child & Shop & Drop is $36 per child. Events can be attended separately or in combination. No discount is offered for combination of both.