County Police on Thursday said they have charged Douglas and Kristen Barbour with endangering the welfare of children, aggravated assault and simple assault. An investigation began after the children—a 1-year-old and a 6-year-old boy—were treated at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, authorities said.
The couple adopted the children from Ethiopia in March. Since that time, sources tell KDKA TV the couple did not feed the 6-year-old boy for an extended period of time and that abuse was discovered by doctors at Children’s Hospital.
According to investigators, the 18-month-old girl is at the Children’s Institute right now and that she may have suffered a stroke from the five different bone fractures and the injuries and that she may be permanently blind as a result, KDKA TV reported.
The Barbours are awaiting arraignment in Night Court and are scheduled for a hearing Tuesday. Check back with Patch for more details as they become available.
See More on Patch
- Cranberry Mother of Bus-Train Accident Passenger Shares Son’s Story
- One Dead, 10 injured After Train Hits Butler County BART Bus in Evans City
- Police Arrest Butler County Teen After Road Rage Stabbing Near Route 8
- Report: Officer In Taser Incident with North Hills Man Plans to Return to Work
- Unsolved Cases: Richard and Donna Hyde of Moon Township